- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Maymont House and Gardens

My friend Carolyn and I visited Maymont house and gardens some months back.
Maymont is a Romanesque style Mansion built on the banks of the James river with 12,000 square feet and 33 rooms and was the 100 acre Victorian country estate of James and Sally May Dooley. Mr. Dooley was a Philandropist and millionaire.
Estate was purchased in 1886 and the mansion was completed by 1893.
Maymont is named for Mrs. Dooley. A combination of her maiden name and mont which is french word for hill..................

The Dooleys maintained a mountain home, Swannanoa, in the Blue Ridge mountains at Rock fish Gap. A beautiful swan bed that once was in the summer mansion , can now be viewed at Maymont. I wish I could have taken pictures inside, but that was not allowed.
--------------------------------------------
The photos will enlarge when clicked on
-----------------------------------------

One of many beautiful trees on property






Covered entrance

Gazebo in the distance



Beautiful gardens surround the property. You can see down to the river from here










Friendly Peacock watching the chickens eat at the childrens zoo on property







collection of antique carriages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy