- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Friday, December 6, 2019

Maine house

Finally in Maine and at the end of September this year are these pretty flowers at front door drive to greet.
This is late September and the flowers and the garden are still producing.  

Entry Foyer they painted and did work on the stairs I believe she said.  

A lighting fixture she found.  I love it.  

I love this art piece she found.  

Lynn and Randy lowered their ceilings.  This tin bathroom wall treatment was once in one of their ceilings.
I think this is a very clever use for it.  I also like that picture hanging in the bath above it.

Lynn put this up on her wall herself.

A pretty wreath she made of her pinecones.  It's a huge wreath.  Beautiful!




A stained glass cross she made some time back hangs in kitchen window. I think when we change out our windows, we will put in roll out ones.  I don't like the tilt out very well, good for cleaning but somewhat awkward to handle with upper and lower windows.

we stayed in this room upstairs

this is an antique porcelain baby wash basin.  It has nursery rhyme characters on the inside.




Hanging on the wall is a neat way to house a precious book.  Frame with a door.
The book her husband found for her.
 Written by our Grandfather - Ethelbert Perry Sheldon.
"The Peruvian Tradgedy".  Published 1940
A drama written in blank verse. A form of verse using Iambic Pentameter.

A clip of the little stream that is stocked with trout running through their property.
Garden produced pumpkins, green beans, tomatoes, etc..
I saw about 15 quarts of beans that she put up and more were  canned when we left.  She made preserves of blueberry, blackberry, grape from her vines and she makes wine.  All types.
Maine may have a short growing season but the veggies love it and it produces plenty.  Apples are so delicious and juicy on the trees.  The trees everywhere are loaded with them.


She said her neighbor saw a black animal in the yard early one morning and thought from a distance to be their lab who is a big dog.  It wasn't, it was a bear.


first part of out trip
HERE

10 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    How very special and even historic to visit your sister in Maine!
    Was that your Paternal or Maternal Grandfather who wrote the book 'The Peruvian Tragedy' in Iambic Pentameter just like the famous William Shakespeare did.
    Those ceiling tiles are very special and one wonders where they look best, on the ceiling or re-used like your sister did.
    Was the house also an old family property that they renovated?
    What a fate to see a bear in the garden, thinking it is their black labrador.
    Your sister Lynn is as creative as you are, judging by that huge pine cone, so pretty!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS On December 5th we lost our BEST friend... sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mariette,
    He is my maternal grand father.
    My sister married a gentleman who is from Maine originally and she decided she liked it there and moved. They found the property and renovated.
    The old home was built in 1870. Fine old home.
    Lynn is always doing something, she can't be still. It's cold and the snow gets pretty deep there. There is a snow mobile path and I hope to visit some time and take a ride on one.
    Thank you for your comment,
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can be proud of your lineage and it seems it is one of multi talents dearest Betsy!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Mariette. I I wish we could find out more about our grandfather. My sister is doing the genealogy and grand daddy is a hard one but making some headway.
      Happy Week end
      betsy

      Delete
  3. I love old homes, Betsy. The tin on the wall of the bathroom is very nice. The pinecone wreath is gorgeous. I made one for my Mama years ago, it took me forever. Maine is a beautiful state and you are so right about their planting conditions. Fruits and flowers do extraordinary there. I somehow missed your first post and now need to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betsy, your sis's house is beautiful as is the garden. Love the wall she did with the paneling. What a nice trip. Are you getting ready for Christmas? I am trying but, as usual, I do too much and it takes so much time. I do love it, but after last year when I got rid of some things, when the boxes were opened this year, all the stuff seemed to be back!!! Happy Weekend..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great description and I enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and your family Betsy!!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy