- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Hanover County Courthouse and Jail 2022

Took the grand girls to visit historical area of Hanover county va.  It was the day before voting and getting some area history in for them as the oldest was telling us she was learning about Patrick Henry in school.  Little on site history is good and she and her sister enjoyed it as Opa answered her questions.   

Entering the historical area to the jail and courthouse




Built about 1835



Walls are 24 inches thick of stone quarried from the South Anna river.
Used as a jail until the 1930's









Patrick Henry, the voice of the American Revolution, because of speeches' like "Give me liberty or give me death" for one. 
Thanks to Henry, Hanover has several sites to the road to revolution heritage trail.
Virginias first governor and served 5 terms.

Memorial to Confederate soldiers dedicated in 1914

We took the children with us to vote.  They both ask if they could.
Enjoying exposing grandgirls to local history this day and how it really happened. 



8 comments:

  1. That's very cool! I live in town that was settled in the 1600's and there's so much history here that I don't think most local kids know. I've made sure to expose my kids, I think it's important...and very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love history and especially American history. That would be a very interesting place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy,
    Good for you for taking your grands there!
    WOW, a prison with 24" walls—no chance to ever get our.
    Patrick Henry was a TRUE HERO and PATRIOT!
    I'm afraid, they don't come along like that anymore as we've weaned off way too much by pampering the youth and making them into softies or 'Snowflakes'...
    Strange that Patrick Henry served five terms as a Governor and now Virginia only has one term limit...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A true Patriot and Hero Patrick Henry surely is. I have always admired him. As far as Governors of Va. I am glad in some ways that most could not serve a second term. We've had some not so good ones, that's for sure.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was and it's not far from home to see these places.

      Delete
  5. Betsy,
    Wow!! Thanks for sharing! And Kudos to you for taking the Grands and teaching them about the history of your area...We have a lot of Revolutionary War history here in NEPA along with a lot of Indian history too...Thanks so much for stopping by!!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy