- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Monday, May 18, 2020

Monday Monday

What a dreary and drizzly day.  Was hoping to get some seeds planted but will have to wait til the days are a little dryer.  Did plant tomatoes a few days ago.

Out this morning and this beautiful tea rose which is over 15 years old and has moved with me twice.  Wish I had the name but do not.
Water droplets stayed on as I picked and brought on the porch.


A red rose of mine I took on Sunday in the sunshine.  

tea rose in front yard in front of my boxwoods.  This one of the six that was in the Valentines day pot I purchased from Walmart in 2019, they are called miniature roses.  I took them all out and planted.  Three survived.  

Sweet William I have growing in front of my hydrangea



My husbands birthday was the 11th and the children fixed dinner of shish ka bob chicken and beef.  
Also another one of his favorites is bratwurst.   
Enjoyed it so much.


I told him to hold on for a minute but he woofed it down too fast.  That long green thing is asparagus he devoured and all cooked on the grill.

Cant see the greeting on the cake too well, I got the gel instead of the frosting tube.   Publix makes the best truffle cake.  Such smooth chocolate layer of vanilla and chocolate ice cream with a layer of chocolate cake.  They make the best cakes I have ever eaten and I have eaten many.

The girls made him presents and they are such sweet thoughtful children.  Genevieve made him a mat and a cross.  

Adalyn made him a caterpillar and he even has eyes.   she cut squares of felt and pierce a hole in them and then put a string through them.  

She made her gift box from paper bowls.




A delicious recipe for onion soup I found on Lady Carnarvon's Website.  I made it and topping it off with truffle oil really made it for me.  So delicious. 
Found on the site below along with other recipes I will try also.
I think I like this better than my favorite French onion soup now. 

click   Lady Carnarvon 

I made mini muffins with Martha Washington Cream Cheese and Strawberry mix for breakfast Sunday and added walnuts.  It was good.  

til next time

😄

16 comments:

  1. Belated Birthday wishes to your dear hubby. Looks like it was a wonderful celebration with such thoughtful gifts. The cake certainly looked good. It was my hubbys birthday at the weekend too, made it quite a special few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy belated birthday wishes to your husband. I need to get around and catch up on visiting blogs as I have been away from the computer a week or so.
      betsy

      Delete
  2. Betsy, happy belated birthday to hubby! That first rose is absolutely beautiful. To be honest, it is so pretty that I thought it wasn't real when I first looked at it. All your flowers are beautiful. That birthday dinner looks wonderful and so do the thoughtful gifts from the girls. I am going to try that soup..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday wishes to your husband, Betsy! Such sweet gifts and a wonderful cake. Your roses are beautiful! All of mine have done so well this year. I told my husband this is the year of the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roses are gorgeous Betsy and the raindrops look like little jewels in the photo. How wonderful that even after being replanted twice it survived and is now 15 years’ old. What do you use for pest control. My rose leaves are beginning to look very bug bitten but yours in the garden look perfect. I have been trying to find something none toxic. You have a very pretty garden and I loved the photo with the lights. The birthday meal your children fixed looks delicious, and so does that cake. We don’t have a Publix around here but I have enjoyed them on our travels. I am taking a note of your truffle cake :) Sweet and thoughtful gifts from the girls. Thank you for the recipe link. The soup looks delicious and that’s a great finish on the mini muffins and fruit. Looks like a very special birthday indeed, and a happy belated birthday to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I must say it is one tough rose with being moved and then several times in the yard. I wish I knew the name of it.
      I have been using Neem oil. It is about the safest product to use out there. I spray the ground around the roses in early spring and the leaves later and I find it really helps.
      Site below explains it very well. google or bing it.
      gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/neem-oil-uses.htm

      The soup is so good and it is mild. I don't have a hand mixer like the one that is used so I put mine in the blender which pureed it all and then I just added a little heavy cream with a swirl of truffle oil.
      Thank you for your sweet comment and try the neem oil, it helped my plants.
      Betsy

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your husband! Wishing him good health and happiness! Wonderful gifts! Great cake! Whau!! Those roses are beautiful! I don't have roses because we live in a parsonage and we have issues with water being super expensive around here but I looove roses! Have a peaceful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela, the few roses I have I am always watching for insects and feeding them rose food. I just love them. I don't water like I should but they do well. Thank you for your comment.
      betsy

      Delete
  6. Dearest Betsy,
    Wow, that all looks and sounds as a perfect birthday for your husband.
    So glad you did interact. And why not?!
    Way too many of our elderly get totally deprived from any human touch. That is their only vitamin for LIFE.
    The food you mention all looks and sounds yummy.
    And your ROSES are a dream!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have been interacting. Have to watch the children while parents work. I am glad they are working and they are too. They are careful as they should be. Every one is careful, children know to keep their mouths covered when coughs happen. Washing hands stressed as always and keeping hands away from face as always. We did this growing up. Never be around anyone with a fever. We do the best we can while living the best we can. Not good to hold up in a house for long. Now I hear that when it's windy the virus can travel further. Well a lot has been said and it works for some who profit. When out in the wind I am not close to anyone anyway. Yes, my family love to be with each other and will if everyone is well. Thank you for your comment. Hope you are having Spring weather as it's getting really chilly here and rainy. I can handle the weather though. My plants look a little sluggish I must say. Be a 100 degrees before I know and will be complaining bout that. I think this is better with the chilly days. Best Wishes and Hugs, Betsy

      Delete
    2. Hugs back from a rainy Georgia, great for the new sods that Pieter laid! And for the garden etc. 💞

      Delete
    3. Glad to hear it and hope you share some garden pictures....

      Delete
  7. Your roses are beautiful! Delicious looking food too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roses are just wonderful …
    Lovely to see all of your photographs, happy birthday to your husband.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your husband and I are very nearly birthday twins, one day off, although I imagine I was born much earlier in the last century than he was! Happy birthday to him and I hope he's still celebrating it. His birthday gifts from the granddaughters are darling! I think ours, age 5 and almost 8, must be close in age. They live a few hours away so I haven't seen them in several months now, far too long. We do have hopes of gathering the family on Father's Day and pray that works out.

    We shop Publix regularly but I've never tried their truffle cake, have to do that soon. And I will click over to the onion soup recipe as they are favorites of mine and I happened to buy a tiny bottle of truffle oil a couple of months ago but have only used it with potato dishes. Your silver tray with the peony picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy