- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Memorial Day observance Monday and Sunday post.

In Memoriam 
Honoring all who lost their lives in service to our country.  

I hear at times "Happy Memorial Day".  It's not, especially to friends and family who have lost loved ones while serving our country. 
  I understand that some want to recognize Memorial Day but don't think it through that it's been a loss for many families.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I picked more strawberries and will be putting the rest in freezer.  I put a little sugar on them and some citric acid, not a lot and then freeze in freezer bags lying flat on shelf so they don't mash up before they freeze. 
I have more to wash 

We went to Chincoteague last weekend.  Our granddaughter with us.
Nice get away. The gift shop at the "Inn" where we stayed, I purchased a cookbook.  


A recipe I will try out of many will be this strawberry pie
I will make with strawberries that I picked today from my patch

On Saturday and it was a hot one
I cut up some along with apples and oranges for lunch.  Refreshing.  They are good with coconut flakes and some honey too. 

I didn't get a picture of the place we stayed but it is named Refuge Inn.  Family owned since 1973 and it's very well taken care of.   Clean and well-appointed rooms.  We were upstairs so having a deck off of our room was especially nice.  Nice pool and sauna with exercise room.   Not far from the beach which
 is nice.
Entrance to stairway, gift shop and rooms

Steps leading to our room

At the top of the landing to our room is this little sitting area. 


I like the idea of having posted "Quiet times between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m." on the door to room off of sitting area.  It was quiet, doors were not slammed and although the rooms were all taken, people observed the quiet times. 

The horses were out 
The picture looks more like a painting because of zooming in so close
over the little bridge to Assateague island

It was breezy and chilly.  Genevieve got a bucket of shells and painted a few
There are areas where lifeguard is on duty but not this day.  There are areas where one can have a contained fire like a family roasting hotdogs one time we were here and there are areas for fishing only and swimming only. I like how clean it is.  The restrooms on the beach are better than average port-a-potty. Very well maintained. 


On our way back we stopped in Cape Charles to walk the beach area there. 
Beautiful roses planted on our walk to beach.  So pretty and I wish I knew the name of them. They kind of remind me of "Coat of many colors" as a rose I have seen in the past is called.  But these are small and I will have to see if I can find these. 

Tide is out this time we visited, Way out. 
Bye for now

our flag does not fly because the wind moves it, but because of the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.  -- Unknown 

5 comments:

  1. A lovely post Betsy. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Betsy,
    Indeed, Memorial Day meant and still means a lot of grief for so many who gave their all!
    Most young people might not even know this full meaning.
    You sure selected a lovely Island to stay with Geneviève.
    Those ponies no doubt are a lovely attraction.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very lovely location for a getaway. I always remember a friend's uncle. It is a very sad story of the loss of a young man in a faraway land and the devastation of his family at his loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun getaway. My daughter just visited Assateague. The pictures and videos they shared were lovely..and those ponies!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy