- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Saturday in June post

Still planting and it's late for me. I usually start in May.  The weather in May was very rainy and then there were some very chilly days, then hot.  Crazy weather.  

I planted seeds more this year and haven't purchased many plants.  Prices have gone up quite a bit from last year.  

Some Calendula planted in pots coming up.  They sprout and shoot up in no time.

I have more in other pots. These look teeny but before long there will be blooms

 Marigolds too. French marigold seeds and these are called Court Jester.  Yellow with red stripes. 

Can't wait till they bloom

I took this image from Pinterest 



My zinnias seed I started a little later this year but they are growing.

The mum next to the zinnias I cut from a larger plant last year and stuck it in the ground.

Mums are so easy to root. 

the large plant on the right in an Astor.


Lots of blooms on the Astor.  Gladiolus coming up in different places where I planted the bulbs in the ground


Boxwood trimmed in the planter and have several more to do. 
cosmos growing from seed that I scattered about in the winter.  It was a bag of wildflower seeds. Not sure what kind they are but I do know this one is a cosmos.  
hydrangea finally growing
It is still small but has more blooms than the larger one 

This one finally growing but no flower heads


A hydrangea and it's called summer crush.  Marked down at Walmart plant dept.  I knew it would come back after watering.   Walmart does not take care of their plants. It has grown in a week since I put in this pot.

I must get a few more tomatoes in the ground.  All seen here will not be planted.  I planted too many from seed this year.  Many are tiny Tims and they only need a 6inch pot or larger.  Cherry tomatoes and good for a patio.  The indefinites are Box car Willie. First time I have grown this type.
Cukes in the pots, I plant cukes at least twice in the season. 



started from seed and after placing in pot, it grows very fast.

My cuke needs water I see.


Nasturtium from seed.  I love these florets and leaves in my salad.  Taste a little like creasy salad to me.  
they are blooming in different pots and beds.  I plant in with my tomatoes and then let them die back as the soil is enriched by them.  
 Mexican mint marigold comes back in my pots every year.  I use the leaves in my chicken salad and some other dishes that tarragon in used in since it tastes so similar.    I grow tarragon but it dies back sooner so the Mexican mint takes its place for me.  A substitute for French Tarragon.  I dry the leaves to use in winter. 


Lavender cut from under dogwood tree. Grows well there.

I have one tea rose left in this area out of three. I dug out one that died this past month. 







Looking through recipes tucked in cookbooks and came across this one I saved.
I used several types of berries in this one.  The topping for me is lemon curd spread on while warm.
I love the coconut in the cake.  Makes it so moist. 

I wish my picture had have been better but it was good.

Wishing all a great Saturday.

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    You might be late but you have been very industrious in your garden!
    Lovely photos and you also know how to cook and bake.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariette. I am trying to get things done, just at a slower pace. I appreciate your sweet comment. Sending you hugs, Betsy

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've never seen the Court Jester marigold!! That is truly unique and would definitely grow in my area. Thanks for the introduction. I need to check them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are just lovely and I would love a bite of that delicious blueberry cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything is growing beautifully...I was late planting too...I swore I was not going to buy as much flowers as I normally do but the marigold and zinnia seeds I planted are not coming up...Maybe carried off by birds or dug out by the squirrels...So I guess i will be getting a few more flowers... Thanks so much for stopping by!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Dennie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy