- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Friday, November 16, 2018

Elkton Va..

Steve and I took a day trip November 4.  We wanted to see the leaves before they finished turning and most already done  so.   Pretty drive to the mountains.



Elkton, an incorporated town in Rockingham county Virginia.   Formerly known as Conrad's store built by George Conrad.
 Adam Miller  was one of the first European -  Americans to settle here and a native of Germany.   Miller purchased 820 acres in 1741 which included a large lithium spring near Elkton.   He sold 280 acres to his son in law, Jacob Baer.  The spring on Millers land is still known as Bear Lithium spring.
We ate at this little diner and across the street had to get a closer look at this old home.  Beautiful I am sure in its day as is the beautiful picturesque farmland that surrounds it.

I hope it will be restored.  Looks the worst for wear though.


Pretty fields and barns surrounding it.




On the way back home we took a more scenic route.  We noticed the signs Swannanoa.  We haven't been able to visit this place which has been about 23 or 24 years ago.  Happened to be it was the last two day week end it would be open until May of 2019.  So excited to be able to tour it.
More on the Mansion in next post.
Swannanoa.  The summer home of  James and Sallie Mae Dooley.  Their Richmond Virginia home is Maymont.


5 comments:

  1. I like to visit the mountains this time of year also, Betsy. The old weathered home must have been a beauty in its day. We've never visited Swannannoa so I'm looking forward to visiting by way of your post. We love the Dooley Mansion and I imagine this summer home is much grander. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that house. If it is restored it will look stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one of the things I miss most about Virginia... the history. I'd take that old run down house in a millisecond if I still lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's hoping that the old house will be restored, it is certainly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, these photos are gorgeous! And those mountains...I miss them so...my heart just longs to be in the mountains and back to a place where they surround me! So gorgeous! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy