- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Saturday, January 20, 2024

Rain, snow and shopping

It's the way it's been this past two weeks.  I wish it would snow good just one time.

Took a day drive out Route 33 in Montpelier Va. two weeks ago to a little shop called Plum Pickings not too far from us. 

The Christmas window display still up.  Adorable


short clip of decoration

I found a few little things like some earrings and bracelet. 
Amazonite stone.  I have several chunks of Amazonite from a mine in Virginia that used to be open for anyone to come purchase a pail and look for stones.  It's still closed and I wish it would reopen.
Amelia mines is what I think it was called. 

Stone of hope

A cute 60ish Christmas decoration
I think this will be easy to make. 
Little mistletoe sprigs on the bottom

For five dollars, frosted fruit in pretty bowl. The bowl is heavy. Not sure what it's made of. 


Across the road from the thrift store is this nice old barn.  I don't see a lot like this one around here much these days. By the looks of this one, it may not be around too much longer, I hope it is though.


On another outing More treasures I was lucky to find and have always wanted were these soup bowls with handles.
These were in a little thrift store in my area, and I had to grab them before they were gone.
I got six sets at $4.00 a set.

Wedgewood EDME

Made in England 


I made potato and corn chowder, or as my sister and brother-in-law say from Maine "Chowda"
On a tray down to the den for my husband
Chowder with bacon bits and cheese on top, I always sprinkle mine with nutmeg. Salad with a ham and cheese on rye with pineapple mustard.  Dredged in egg and then grilled with butter. 

It rained so hard a few weeks ago that the slash near our drive was filling and so thankful it was flowing at the same time.  Lot of rain.

Another day trip to Afton Virginia in Rockfish Gap area, beautiful scenery to be enjoyed and two thrift stores.  We like to visit.  

Rockfish Gap is a wind Gap.  Located in Blue Ridge mountains between Charlottesville and Waynesboro Va. through Afton Mountain which is frequently used to refer to the gap. 
 

Rockfish Gap country store and sister store Greenwood Unique's and Antiques.
The latter store is sitting not too far in the bend down this gorgeous drive.
There are grape orchards growing a little further down.  Virginia has some good wine.

I purchased this Rum Apple Butter.  We purchased other things like an outdoor plant holder with wheels to be able to push some pots around on the patio easier without lifting. 

Our drive home

The next day

It's all gone

we had some snow on Friday but that is gone now. 
I want one good snow!

I purchased this cute lil heater to help out the mini split on the jalousie porch in which those jalousies should be replace as there is air that comes in between them, no matter what I do.  The curtains help in the winter to hold some of it.  Actually, helped a lot.  I don't know, will see.  Not the top of my list right now. The simulated fire can be turned down for brightness levels and there are two levels for heat and fan.

A tiny parlor stove would be nice out here. 

That's it for now
Will see what tomorrow brings.
BH

5 comments:

  1. Betsy, you always visit such lovely spots in our state! I love the Rockfish Gap area. We need to make day trip there before too long. Your photos are great! We have snow on the ground, but none on the roads which makes it nice for getting around. Those rains came here as well and were really something! The Rappahannock flooded and many folks had wet basements. I love your little heater--so cute. Glad it's helping with the chill. Take care and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful treasures you found on your shopping trip! The tray with soup, salad and sandwich looks absolutely scrumptious! And how cozy is that little stove heater. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy,
    You sure got a perfect deal on those handled soup cups from Wedgwood! And your husband must have happily smiled when being served such a meal.
    Cute white electric stove heater.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariette. My husband is so grateful always when I fix his meals and very kind, always has been. I love doing it. I feel I got a wonderful deal also. The lady at the register said Wedgewood, what a deal. I just always wanted some with those little handles and never got them til now. Perfect size for soup instead of the huge bowls that look like troughs today. That is a teeny little stove, looks like a toy stove but it helps. Hugs, Betsy

      Delete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy