- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Thursday, August 10, 2023

home and garden

 Rain today and glad for it.  Means I don't have to water what is left of my plants.

The crepes started showing blooms last week.


The blooms are not as red as they were but maybe that's because of sun fading them.

Fairy vine growing in a hanging pot.
 puts out this very tiny flower.

A rose of Sharon that took root under my dogwood from seed.  I trimmed the stalk and rounded the top It's already flowering in the pot; it will stay there until given to my sister to grow in her yard.
I noticed in a flower bed at a restaurant one like this clipped into a ball and the limbs kept trimmed from the long trunk.  It was kept cut short, 5ft tall maybe.  

Couple salmon-colored zinnias I planted from seed. Can always count on them to grow in the worst summer heat.


Swamp Mallow blooming itself out.

The red cabbage didn't do too bad this year in pots I grew for the first time.  Looks like giant flowers on the patio.  The larger the pot, the larger the head


Making vegetable soup today and this patio cabbage will go in it. 

I purchased this basket with little wreath at a little secondhand shop. 
 added extra floral picks to it.


Thinking about changing out the floral film in windows at front door.
The film helped a lot with insulating them from the frosty cold last winter.  These are older windows and not insulated.   I may get another design.  Plain design this time.



My mantle til fall 

That's it for today, now bring on the rain.

9 comments:

  1. My plants have really suffered this summer. We went almost a month with no rain and then had too much rain and even hail. But my Rose of Sharon's are doing just great. Usually I only get white flowers (I hear the color is determined by the nutrients in the soil). This year I have several bushes with purple flowers, some with white flowers and one with pink flowers. The bush by my front door has purple and white in the same bush!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a white Rose of Sharon but would love one. The only problem with mine is that the seeds germinate like crazy and if I don't get to the shrub to cut them off before they fall, I am having to pull all of the sprouted ones up. I never knew the soil had anything to do with the color. Mom had deep purple and a pinker one while we were growing up. Purple and white on the same bush must be so pretty.

      Delete
  2. So many pretty flowers in your garden and I love that basket wreath on your front door! It's what summer is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy,
    Your garden is still quite productive in late summer!
    Crepe Myrtles are such great troopers all through summer heat.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crepes and zinnias, I can't go wrong with as far as having summer color. Hugs, Betsy

      Delete
    2. Funny, crêpes are French sweets... We always refer to them as Crepe Myrtle

      Delete
  4. I just call them crepes for short. I must say I love the French crepes filled with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betsy, love all your photos! Beautiful home and flowers, and produce. I also love your butterfly bench! And the film on your windows? Very pretty but I know what it's like when we are ready for a change. I have never thought of growing a cabbage in a plant pot before. Thanks for that idea and have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy