- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Friday, August 25, 2023

home and an overlook

August is almost over but not summer.

  No rain for a while. leaves are falling. I walk the yard with a crunch under foot.  It's because dried up brown leaves are falling. 

 Most of the potted flowers as the petunias are gone except in a couple pots on front porch that I water and keep cut back to encourage the flowering.  

I cut back and repotted in the same pot my Rosemary.  It was terribly root bound.  I pulled from pot and cut a little over an inch all around and about the same from the bottom, added more dirt and watered .  Should be good for another three seasons.  I don't think there is any way to kill the herb. 

It was a little hard removing.  The roots grew through drainage holes in bottom, I had to cut them off.
I also cut back the Thyme. With cuttings from both I attached to a grapevine wreath and hung. 

 Rosemay and Thyme. I am thinking about that song now. 

Smells so good.

I dried flowers, hung them upside down.  Some dried upright in containers.  I may use some to decorate a small Christmas tree along with other naturals. 


Some in a container with faux daisies

The red roses really hold their color. 
 I use a few drops of rose oil to the base and it gives them a nice scent.

Two finds at a thrift store.  A mirror I hung in downstairs bathroom that is reflecting a whale I also found while thrifting.  I like a touch of whimsy here and there in my house.  



A few days ago, we had late lunch at the Courthouse Cafe not too far from home.  They haven't been open very long. 

Across the street are the county government buildings.

I like how they named their dishes on the menu.  This one got a little wet at the top. 


Steves smash burgers

Salad was so good. The romaine lettuce was halved.  Topped with bacon, tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles and blue cheese dressing.  


Few weeks ago we took a drive to Wintergreen Va.   Off season and good time to go, not many people on the roads and the mountains are just so pretty to see.  Peaceful.
At Founders vision overlook



Was just so pretty with flowers in bloom.





Coming back down from the mountain with the Blue Ridge in the distance.



Til next time

9 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    Your garden and your surroundings are looking wonderful at this time of year!
    It is amazing hom many leaves have come down already during thunder storms.
    Enjoy the remaining nice weather!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed your beautiful post this afternoon, Betsy! From the photos of your garden and home to the lovely Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I especially enjoyed reading about the Native Americans that inhabited this area. Stay cool today as Summer is not letting go yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long, lazy summer drives are the best...especially when everything is so green!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of my flowers are gone from lack of rain. But I guess we prayed too hard. We had almost 5 inches on Wednesday night and a few tornadoes that passed over our state but never landed. And more rain on Thursday. It has been an interesting summer. What a fun trip and lunch. I love the menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you did get the rain. I can't remember the last time we got it. Supposed to be some tonight, not looking to promising at the moment. I am so glad to hear that the tornadoes passed over. It is scarry when I hear Tornado watch or warnings. We picked out the place in our house to go just in case of one.

      Delete
  5. Hi Betsy. I love to dry flowers and to see them put into a wreath or garland, especially in the fall. This is my most favorite time to decorate as is Christmas, I guess I have to add. We haven't gone on a road trip since forever and I miss it. Looks like yours was beautiful..Enjoy the rest of summer..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! We get rain but in the form of storms where we get a quick inch or so and then none for a few days!!! That restaurant looks so charming and that burgers looks fantastic!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! I appreciate your kind words and support after having to deal with such a nasty blogger....Hope you are having a great week!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy