- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Monday, March 13, 2023

Enjoying the last of winter

 Time to bring in a little Spring.  Doesn't feel like it's getting close. Still very chilly at night and today misty rain on and off.  Very damp outside. 

Will change out my mantle from winter to Spring when it Spring. Not rushing the seasons, I enjoy all.   Still wrapping up in a blanket in the evenings with a fire going.

In the meantime 

Vases of flowers brighten the darkest of areas.  


Picked from yard a few days ago.  The baby's breath is from my Valentines Day arrangement. 


Hyacinth scents the bath upstairs



I have started a few seeds.  Didn't start early like last year.  They got too leggy before it was time to put them out in the ground.  When the ground is warm, the seeds take off better than started in flats inside. Some anyway.
 A few I ordered that I did put in flats are peppers and a few cukes.

I like this company and they put extra free packs in with this order, which I thought was nice.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I first saw the Burr Gherkin on Thomas Jefferson's website.   The vegetable is native of South Africa. First sold by Minton Collins, his store in Richmond.  The west Indian Burr was grown by President Thomas Jefferson in his vegetable garden at Monticello.   President Jefferson is known for keeping a pickle barrel for guests at Presidents house in Washington. 
 I have read where pests like the tomato horn worm dislike climbing over the spiny vines.   I will plant and see how I like it.  Will be worth it if pests are kept away from vegetables.   1840farm.com - is a good site to read about it.  


Sunday was soup day here at home.   Lentil soup with carrots and flavorings.  I threw in diced tomatoes also. 


I decided to make an Easter bread from "Jenny can cook" site.  I like her recipes, simple easy with good tips about baking different dishes she shares.
 Raisins are mixed in the dough, rolled into 9 by 12 in rectangle. Slice three strips, patted butter, added brown sugar with cinnamon.  Pinched together the strips, braided, then let rise.  I brushed with egg wash before baking.




The end 😉

6 comments:

  1. I can't decide which is my favorite - the daffodils or that gorgeous bread!!!! We have weeks until our daffy-dills poke their heads out, but I can just taste how good that bread would be with a cup of hot tea! What a cheerful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Merry. I hope you share your daffodil pictures when they bloom. I love those flowers. I must have a slice of bread with a cup of hot tea now. Great idea.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Betsy,
    You sure got some healthy looking daffodils from your garden—love your owls as well!
    Wonder if that Burr Gherkin will keep pests away...? Hope it will work.
    Your Soup sounds and looks yummy but I'm no longer allowed to have lentils, carrots and tomatoes—makes it so hard! All too high in potassium and causing me to have Hyperkalemia... Not want to go that route again.
    Love the way your Easter bread turned out—you are a PRO!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really know that carrots were so high in potassium or tomatoes really. I take bp medicine. I have to watch out for what that med can lead to, I guess. Thank you for sweet compliment on my bread. Wishing you well and hugs, Betsy

      Delete
  3. Wow, that bread looks amazing. I need to go check out her site. I am not an adventurous cook, but I do like variety, so simple gets me every time!!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy