- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Monday, October 5, 2020

Basil and jelly

NOTE: I forgot to mention that I did add a little green food coloring just because I wanted to.  You don't have to..............

 I made basil jelly again this year.  It's spicy Basil  and Thai Basil, which has a sort of licorice taste to me.

I used a different recipe this time.  I like the recipe except  I prefer to use the powdered pectin.  I think it makes it a little thicker.  I may have used a little tiny bit more juice from the basil   It turned out jellied but I just like it a little firmer.  My husband really likes it over cream cheese on a cracker.


 This recipe called for a little vinegar.  We do like vinegar here on anything.

A little less sugar used in this recipe also.  The taste is a little stronger which I like.

Recipe is found here....https://herbs.motherearthliving.com/basil-jelly-recipe/

Cream cheese with basil






The jelly  made last year below address
This recipe uses more sugar
https://beth-wildwoodhome.blogspot.com/2019/08/basil-jelly.html

For dinner a few nights ago I baked chicken  cut into strips, mixed sour cream, ranch dressing and dry packet of dressing.  spread over the chicken sprinkled with parmesan and baked about maybe 50 minutes.  Carrots and rice on side.  Children ate it.  



9 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    Wow, that Basil jelly looks so attractive in its jars and no doubt your husband loves to snack on it!!!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS had to share this on my Pinterest with link to this post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty jars of jelly, Betsy! I made pesto with my basil this year and have it in the freezer for later use. I also dried some and will chop it up and store in an old spice jar. Your dinner looks great. Happy Autumn days to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I was just going to say some cream cheese and a good cracker, and then your hubby beat me to it. It looks so pretty as window decoration too..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty jelly! I bet it is delicious with lots of different foods. I will have to share this with my neighbor. She is an expert jelly maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My mom always made jellies. I got a lot of jelly making ideas from Mama. She grew her own grapes, made jelly and wine. I love this brushed on tenderloin while baking.

      Delete
  5. This looks so good Betsy, thank you for the recipe. It is a real pretty color too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy,
    Love the jelly in those jars and what a pretty color!! That meal looks so good..My type of meal...Thanks so much for visiting!!
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy