Blog header photo is mine taken a couple years ago here at home. - Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Monday, November 18, 2019

Maine and Nantasket beach


A trip to Maine  with my husband in September to visit my sister and brother in law.
We will never take the route we took but glad we got to see some big cities.
  My husband white knuckled it through a couple at the most busiest time of the day.  No fun.
Tolls were many.   Northern Virginia is not a place I enjoy driving in or through.  Well I didn't, but it still wasn't fun.



Which brings me to New York.  Along the way we kept watch out for this...Motor cycles riding ahead between lanes and cars.  Hate this.


Clouds were so pretty this day and low


I like it from afar, but at around 4:30 p.m.  I don't think I want to be any closer.  Traffic too heavy and a way we have to go.



Not sure of the bridges names of some.




I guess we are heading towards the Bronx?



quick ride







Oh yeah, why not.

Hutchinson river pkwy
Heading for Connecticut 

Adding limbs to a cell tower in progress

Heading to Nantasket beach in Hull Massachusetts,  we pass the castle like building which is now a military recruiting office.

Shopping area



Nantasket beach where my husbands father was born and the reason he wanted to see the beach and I did too.   
Nantasket name is derived from the Wampanoag and means "at the strait".
Settled not long after the Plymouth colony and before Massachusetts Bay.
English settlers referred to the whole Nantasket region as Nantasket Peninsula until Hull was incorporated in 1644.
Nantasket beach resort is where we stayed for two nights before moving onto my sister's house.

At the hotel entrance are these red hydrangeas.   I purchased mine as red, but it blooms bluish pink.

Our hotel room

 Balcony view to Nantasket beach.

Low tide and acres of tide pools


I found rocks here in pretty colors of blue, red, green and some almost purple.


We enjoyed dinner here a couple times




Our room



Dinner in the hotel restaurant.  This was kind of over our heads, they turned the light off of the mouth when I kept looking up at it with it's mouth blazing red.

Not liking the red

Beautiful Chandelier in the Hotel.

Some art on display in the hallway to the lobby
I like the way rocks from the ocean was used for teeth







It was cold this day with the wind blowing so a quick video




Now off to Corinna Maine
Yes, maybe cape cod next time.  Way too far to go and want to visit more in Maine


4 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    That was quite a challenge for your husband to manoeuvre through heavy traffic on the way over to see your sister and brother-in-law.
    Glad you had a nice roomy hotel for relaxing a couple of days.
    That shark head is not my liking either... weird with the red light.
    Great photos captured and no doubt fond memories made.
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... I've been on that Hutchinson Parkway so many times. My daughter, the youngest one, lives in Rye so you were in her neck of the woods. I love that area but yes, the traffic is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, I know what you mean about driving through traffic. Northern VA is the worst! Your photos remind me why we fly to visit our daughter in NH! I love the beach photos and the pretty shells in the photo that were framed. I have so many, I should do this! How wonderful for your husband to go to the place his father was born. I'm looking forward to going to Maine with you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you mentioned hating the driving in Northern Va. I would have thought New York to be worse. My daughter and son-in-law just moved back to NC from Virginia. I've asked her many times how she ever learned to drive in Virginia. I drove up to see her (alone) once and my nervous were shot. I sure enjoyed your pictures. My husband and I want to take a trip up that way. Will probably never happen but we talk about it.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy