"There is peace even in the storm." - Vincent Van Gogh -

Monday, July 6, 2026

July 4th

Hope everyone's celebration of our country's 250 birthday was a good one.  Most had to deal with this heat wave and that made for us an outside barbeque a no go.   The heat index was around 111 degrees.  We took a drive to Gordonsville Va. and stopped in at "The Icehouse", in the old days it really used to be a real icehouse.   Back to our meal it was a burger for me and fried chicken for Steve.  It was delicious.   Afterwards coming home there was a big storm and limbs were in the road from the trees as there was a good deal of wind.  Didn't last long.

Gordonsville became a railroad stop in the 1840's

Local African American women previously enslaved prepared and sold fried chicken to rail passengers. 

Steve had his fried chicken and I had my burger.  

Mashed potatoes, biscuit, blackeyes with tomatoes like my mom always fixed them and apple butter.


My mom as I do now used to soak her chicken in vinegar water.  Made it delicious.  I have heard that is the secret to the good chicken cooked up by African American women, I will have to look more into that.    


   

On our way back the sky was looking like a downpour any minute.  




A short post of our day.   Til next time

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Mmm...that food looks great! It was so hot here, too, same heat index. We BBQ'd but other than hopping out to eat, we were in the pool the entire time. It was just too hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh the pool sounds so nice. Wish we had one for sure.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you and much better than cooking at home.

      Delete
  3. I love your ‘Betsy’ header…beautiful! I hope you had a wonderful Fourth of July ! 🇺🇸 I think we should celebrate all year long, 250th is very special. Your yard and plants all look like they’re doing well…I know you work hard at keeping everything watered and happy and it shows.I watched a diy video and I did finally make some lavender wands…I made three wonky ones until I got the hang of the weaving. I have two kinds of lavender growing, one is English and the other is French…not sure now which is which. Both made nice wands and I found it therapeutic to sit and work with my hands … and … that lovely fragrance…a bonus to enjoy. Have you make any wands? I saw someone made lavender baskets…not sure how to do that but maybe, I’ll give it a try. You got some gorgeous photos on your drive home, thanks for sharing. Hope you are feeling good, have a happy day, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I think it should be celebrated all year too. French lavender I have had no luck with. I think the lavender I have is called Provence. Not sure anymore. I am going to try some more lavenders but the one I have is the only one that does well for me. I never got the hang of making wands that well. I will try again next year when I get some. The only one I made is one without the ribbon. I wish I could see yours. I love the wands with the ribbon. I will have to look up lavender baskets, never heard of them. It's more rain now than ever and I have little mushrooms growing in my pots with flowers. No happy in-between with this weather lately. At least it's cooler. Happy Summer days to you, Betsy

      Delete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy