" The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances". - Martha Washington

Friday, August 23, 2024

Our lounge at home and furniture arrival

 This week has been wonderful.  The days cooler and the nights a few anyway in the 50's.  Next week we are due for a change in that it is supposed to get back into the 90's.

We got some of our furniture, well all except for the pots of grasses for accent and the server that will make a great t.v. stand.  We need to get a larger t.v. but not right now.

The furniture can be added to but I think we have enough.  It's a sectional and plenty room and space for sitting. 

First time for leather.  We love it. 

Coming in from porch and the back of the sectional and room. 

I am not sure what kind of if any window hangings I will do. The large T.V. stand will go as soon and piece to replace it comes. 

There are three recliners, one on each end and the other next to an end one. 

There will be plenty of room behind sofa for something to pull out when having Christmas and dinner downstairs.  I think I mentioned before we live in a bi level and my mom will be more comfortable downstairs in lounge area.   The white table in corner won't stay. Not sure what to do with that. 

I am very happy with the rug.  Kinda reminds me of the ocean. It's called cascade.  


We also purchased two white swivel and rolling chairs.  They are called dining chairs and fit perfectly at this table for games or whatever else we may need a table for. 

This table between chairs was white and somewhat dented on top.  It's wood but a little sanding and some paper bags fixed it. 
The paper bags I tore into pieces and glued to table randomly.  I thought it looked kind of like leather.  I then painted polyurethane over the table. Lots of coats of urethane but after every two or three coats I gave it a light sanding.  I built it up enough until I could not feel the edges of the torn bags, and everything was smooth and even. Last I pushed into the rim some tacks for added interest.  

I am happy with the purchase of this corner lamp for just the right amount of light. 
I think I may purchase another table lamp from Havery's like this one.  It's hand crafted and I love the look of the glass and the color.  
We enjoy relaxing in this room now.  
I almost forgot the clock.  My granddaughter Genevieve saw this in the furniture store while we were finalizing our furniture purchase and said I should get this clock because it looked like steam punk, I guess she meant because of the metal and roman numerals, well we got it and it keeps great time. 
Ignore the mess behind the door, it is the utility room and another door out to the porch beyond that. 
I am still thinking about taking down the mirror over the fireplace because it reflects nothing really interesting but after hanging the clock I am having second thoughts.  Will see. 


Area behind sectional is plenty for something else and also the white table will be gone.

I am reading at the moment "The Chateau" I have not been reading as much as I like but now, I will get back to some relaxing evenings curled up with a good book.

The last of the teddy bear sunflowers.  They will dry in the vase as I let the water dry up and they will keep the pretty orange yellow color. 
Fresh picked okra from my little garden area along with tomatoes. Rice, shrimp and kielbasa. Some seasonings.  Gumbo the way we like it. 
Chocolate cake I made.  Very easy with just eggs, flour, cocoa, hot water, baking powder, sugar and oil. 
This cake is so good and moist.  I cut between the layer and slice vanilla ice cream to put in between and some hot fudge on top.  I took the picture before I put on the whipped topping.  The taste reminds me of the Shaneys Big Boy restaurants hot fudge cake.   
Soon it will be time to put out some September colors like orange, yellows and tan leaves and flowers.  But I am not rushing it, it is still August and like I said earlier, it will be in the 90's next week.
These will do for now. 

My husband was walking several nights ago and captured this beautiful evening sky.  It looks like a womans face with wings on both sides almost.  Maybe a guardian angel, that is what I thought of when I saw it.  

This is it for now
Take care

🌞🌻
Betsy

8 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    WOW, you got some colossal furniture in there!
    It sure makes that fire place dwarf...
    The white swivel and rolling chairs look perfect but you obviously needed some more seating...
    It sure is getting cool in your area and that makes the gumbo and chocolate cake just perfect.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Mariette. I had to laugh when I saw the word colossal. Yes, I think you are right. My husband wanted to send one piece back and make the sofa smaller but he lays down and naps sometimes and this will be a better length for him. I would rather have it closer to a wall but the room is so cut up with doors and windows.
      I hope all is well with you. I am so loving this cool weather. Have a good week end and take care, Betsy

      Delete
    2. Sure, napping is a good reason for that! No, I'm not well as I live through so much pain and often writhe on the mattress, so I get up for a couple of hours till the pain settles somewhat. Also am very anemic and close to kidney failure... Not easy for going on but I have to care for our 3 kitties. They are 17 + 4.5 months and also have their health problems...

      Delete
    3. I am so sorry to hear this Mariette. Hugs Betsy

      Delete
  2. I LOVE IT!! The colors are perfect and bring the whole room to life. The chairs looks super comfy and the sofa and the lamp are real wows...what a beautiful space. I also adore your paper bag table. What a great makeover. The nails are a perfect accent, too. Am I gushing? I hope so, because it's all so good and I know you waited a long time for its arrival. Oh...and if you happen to have the recipe for the cake handy, I'd love to take a peek. It looks delish and easy (which is great for the baking impaired, like me!)!! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new room is marvelous! Isn't fun to play with new furniture? It's like having a giant doll house! I think you will love that couch. The color is so amazing and all the pieces look just perfect together. That clock is pretty great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes for sure it is fun with new furniture. We haven't purchased any for a long while and feels good to refresh. Thank you Miss Merry.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy