" The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances". - Martha Washington

Monday, August 5, 2024

August and hot

 Already into August.  I can't believe how time is just flying by.  I have been keeping up with watering because if I don't the plants will curl up and die.  

I need to do something different in garden area next year and that is not put too much organic fertilizer.  Not sure what has happened but the leaves on the okra plants are huge and so are cucumber leaves.  I have been keeping a cover on the tomatoes and some other plants during the heat of the day so they won't burn and it's helped. 



I have been drying my Mexican Mint Marigold which as I believe I mentioned earlier posts that it can be substituted for Tarragon.  I love Tarragon and when it's gone this takes the place.  I like it cut up in butter and in chicken salad.  All hanging in my window downstairs with
 purple basil and green basil along with winter thyme. 
I picked a few Teddy bear sunflowers, and they are drying in a vase with just a little water along with some zinnias.  I don't replenish the water, and they dry well this way. 

Since it has been so hot.  I have been trying to clean up a few pictures that are from Mom and this one being of Mama's cousins.   Rachel and Rolland Rees of Ohio.  
This is the condition of photo

Backside 
Mama wrote "my cousins"

I am trying to do what I can with old pictures to save them and give to people in family who want a copy.   Rolland died in 2008 at 83.   He was from Mentor Ohio.  
I can't find anything on Rachel in the picture.  I wish I could.

Here it is after cleaning it up a little bit.

A little too dark so I made the second one lighter


Little better but still more work to do. 
Some more sharpening.


I had to zoom in to see what was on the shirt collar and it's a sailboat.

Well one down and many more to go.

Til next time 
Betsy

9 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    Wish we had some of your weather as it is here one rainy week after another.
    The huge fallen tree is still down as it is far too soggy for the equipment to go in there, let alone to cut the underbrush.
    The yard crew, with more members than usual, came to hurriedly cut the lawn and do everything in–between showers. It looks so threatening and depressingly dark.
    So you are archiving family photos, which is a good thing to do but tedious.
    Glad that I've accomplished all that in years past and now those files are easy to find if needed.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mariette, It does sound like it will be some time before equipment gets to the tree and underbrush. We had a large truck get stuck in our yards years back. We told them not to come in when it is wet and rainy. They did anyway and it tore up the yard getting that thing out.
      Yes, I am working on photos now and then. I get to where I am sick of the computer screen. Takes so long to repair some and take out scratches. I hope I finish archiving. I hope I want to finish. Hugs Betsy

      Delete
    2. Indeed a very tedious job—been there, done that!

      Delete
  2. I have a bucket full of those pictures with the same writing on the back. Unfortunately, I have no idea who many of the people are and there's just about no one left to ask. Kind of sad really, but interesting to look at for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! I have been watering too but the heat is just taking a toll on my flowers... I cut way back this year and I think I will be cutting back even more next year as it is just too hot anymore in the Summers and I spend most of my time watering them and can not even enjoy them....
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie_Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious photo! And what great skill to repair it! I am the keeper of my families photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again. Just stopping by to thank you for visiting!! I hope you are having a great week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy