- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Steam punk at the Museum

A trip to Science Museum of Va.

Steam Punk on display.

clicking on some of the pictures should enlarge.  Overlay is not enabled. This way Clicking again will make larger to better see wording on some of the posts













Mary Shelley lived through hard times in her life. 





Wells time machine

Next is Jan Metzinger's shoe machine.
Inventor of Surinamese and Dutch descent
He patented the shoe lasting machine.
Made shoes more affordable and decreased the price.
March 1883, he received a patent for his machine.
The machine held the shoe on a last or a foot form which was made of wood on display at the museum, the leather pulled down around the heel, the nails then driven in.  It had the capacity to produce hundreds of shoes a day. I didn't get exact number.    

short video clip of shoe making machine

The light made hard to get good pictures of some things like the not so Fresnel lens here.
Not invented by Fresnel
Genevieve - she said she could hear the ocean inside.
Some interesting facts in the displays 


We purchased the collection.

So much more to see and read about but would take too long on my post.  
I purchased a steampunk owl picture and a cat, here is only the owl. 

Science Museum of Va housed in what used to be Union station of Richmond.
I remember catching I believe it was twice a train for a school trip.  That was a long time ago.


Bye for now.
My ride awaits, husband and car that is.


3 comments:

  1. Maybe 15 years ago? I was at a hotel in another state for a 4H advisors conference. We were goofing off in the late afternoon and saw a set up for an outdoor wedding. Of course we found a spot where we could observe without being observed! The guests started to arrive in the most unusual costumes. One couple spotted us and came over and explained "Steam Punk" as it was a Steam Punk themed wedding. I later found the photographer online and enjoyed some of the professional photos of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have like to have observed that wedding. Did the brides dress look anything like the one on display that is in my post with those huge shoes? That is pretty neat you got to see that. I would have liked to see those photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post and so on topic for me. I have an app now that turns requested pictures into steampunk. I didn't realize its history went so far back. Thanks Betsy, I leave thoroughly educated about steampunk :) Hopefully you are having the same weather today as it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy