- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Friday, April 29, 2022

Agecroft

A visit to Agecroft Hall in Richmond, Virginia with my sister and her husband on Sunday April 24.

 We toured the house and gardens.   I had a post about the history a few years back about how this place made it here from England to Virginia and was the start along with the house next door that became Windsor Farms neighborhood, The Virginia house which is a must see also.  Both shipped here from England.   This photo of Agecroft from a few years back as I didn't get a shot of the front this year.


A few pictures of the inside  
The long gallery where we transition from modern world to early 17th century.  
Walls filled with wattle and daub.

 Armour for physical protection.  Mythological cockatrice shown on shield - protection from witches and spirits.  In those days people relied on superstitions.  






The great hall with exposed timbers and large hearth were sometimes the only room in a large manor house. 


Plaster ceiling

Agecroft Hall has a blog and one to take a look for the history of it, inside and out.  

www.agecrofthall.org/blog

Staircase from Warwick Priory. The Virginia house right next door that was also from England reconstructed in Va. 
Newell post and panels carved from one piece of wood. Made of oak.
Originally there were 20 to 40 sleeping chambers at Agecroft, not just for family but for the maybe 20 to 30 servants employed at the manor house. 




my sister checking out the room


Over in the corner below is the 


 silent companion 

Dummy boards or silent companions I understand originated in Holland in 1700's.  Found in households throughout the continent, British households and Colonial America.
I assume the feeling of a human Prescence was comforting for some, hence the term silent companion. 
Some say they were used to ward off burglars or enemy soldiers, which makes me think that is what the one above is for as he is holding a sword.  

Another bedroom here and off to a small hallway 


In the hallway is this shelving which is really a Priests hole.


moving along and admiring this electric candle with a brass plate hung above it to throw the light.


Another silent companion





An idea of what a meal may have looked like at the time at the Tudor Manor house when originally located in Irwell valley in Agecroft Pendlebury in the 15th century, later in Lancashire England.

A closer look at the pie. Little birds for dinner? 

I guess if one is hungry enough, maybe.  I am sure I would stay hungry.
On to the out of doors.
Gorgeous sunken garden of tulips.



Roses will be more in bloom maybe in a few weeks



In the courtyard there were activities, and one was making potpourri sachets, mine made with lavender and rose buds.  Not shown but fabric pulled together and tied with a yellow ribbon.  



My sister and her husband  
 




 

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    That Agecroft house in Richmond, VA is so very well preserved!
    What an immense task for shipping it all from England and building it up here.
    No phone line for requesting this or that... it would take quite a while to arrive!
    The sunken gardens are another immense task but manual labor back then was not important.
    Quite a history lesson and their blog seems interesting.
    You could have easily studied there for days in a row.
    Thanks for sharing and I got to view your video as the 3rd person.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mariette, The sunken gardens are what I enjoy seeing in the different seasons there. There are other gardens like an herb garden but didn't get around to seeing them this time around. Thank you for viewing and Happy Week end, Betsy

      Delete
  2. What a fun trip! Such an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, you always go to some interesting places. What a magnificent house but I don't think I could accept a dinner invitation! The tulip garden would make up for it though. .Happy Friday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, my first comment just disappeared. I'm so glad you shared this -- I've wanted to visit Agecroft for several years now. I visited England once over 20 years ago, but I never got to tour any homes like this; I'm determined to visit Agecroft Hall now. I even went online last night to check ticket prices, times, etc. You are fortunate to have such wonderful historic sites in your home state. :) That garden is especially lovely, and it looks like you had a beautiful day for your visit.

    Thanks so much for your informative post, Betsy, and I hope you have a great weekend!!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy,
    WOW!! What an amazing place especially the gardens!! Thanks so much for taking us along!! Also thanks for taking the time to visit!!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy