- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Saturday, October 2, 2021

October

Days are going fast it seems. It has been  a little while since I posted.  So much to do outside getting things put away for the winter to come. 

I love the Autumn. The  leaves are just starting to turn here.

A few mums and pumpkins I have on the porch. 

These two are cuttings from established ones I have at the tree.  They took root over the summer.   

   

 

Plant shopping at Home Depot last week.  Beautiful flag flying with such pretty blue skies. 

Before putting them on the porch. Derek power washed  the front porch and steps.  They need it every year around this time but it's wasn't done last season.  Feels nice and clean and pleasant to use now.  Much brighter.
I still have more pumpkins to put out at the chair on sidewalk with a few hanging pots.
The mums around the dogwood are ones that I planted from previous years.  
Looking good so far.  I try to keep them cut to have that oval shape.
Yellow shows up the best.
Probably should remove the ugly tag on the blue pot on my porch.  Will do that as soon as I am finished here.  
Some cornstalks purchased today will be put out at the lamp post along with some fall color tomorrow. 
 
From fresh corn

Potatoes cream and other spices I made corn chowder.
Perfect this time of year.
Bacon bits on top and a tuna salad sandwich is what Steve wanted with his.
Locally grown food from Berry's Produce in Mechanicsville Va.   Beautiful Hanover tomatoes, beets, collard greens, squash and my favorite Okra I purchased on the way home from running errands Friday.
I must go back to get turnips. .  All types of root vegetables we eat here.    

Our mantle in Den has fall color now with a garland and candles.  The little lights are maple leaves in various colors of Autumn

Off to fix a very late dinner.  Will be light with vegetables.  I have Brunswick stew in the slow cooker and it smells heavenly but will have that tomorrow.  My husband thought is was for tonight.  The  scent woke him up from a 15 minute nap.  

Hugs, Betsy









10 comments:

  1. Your front porch looks lovely all dressed in pretty Autumn decor, Betsy. We need to power wash our front porch as well and need to get that done soon. I really enjoy seeing your cuttings take hold. And your mantel looks charming with the lights. That corn chowder sure looks delicious, too. Happy Fall, dear Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Betsy,
    Wow, love your steps up to the front door; like NEW!
    Also have to compliment you on having railing alongside the steps, for safety. We do have too but while biking we noticed that most homes have NOTHING to hold onto. As they age, they will figure out how hard it is without.
    You have done quite some autumn work and things look great.
    We're still waiting on our exterior painters to come, maybe November. All the rain has delayed everything for them that far. The pressure washing will have to happen shortly before the painting.
    Will be so happy when we're finally through!
    My present post is a short video about Salem, VA + General Lee's Restaurant in Gettysburg, PA...
    Maybe you recognize things.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS have to hit the mattress as I drove today 360 miles with Pieter next to me. Tomorrow we attend a funeral that is still one hour away... but that is EASY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hello Mariette, These railings have been sanded and painted several times by Steve. They are wrought iron and have held up well so far. I believe code here is for a handrail with three or more risers. I would want them because anytime one has to step up and especially with a bag of groceries, a hand rail is needed. Children need handrails to hold on to coming up and down steps. Just so much more safer.
      Steve just cut the grass today as we are in for rain next week. I hope you can get a week with sun to get what you need to have done outside.
      I will look at your post about Salem Va. I am not sure if I have been there. Look forward to reading it tomorrow. General Lee's statue has been taken down here on Monument ave. in Richmond. I have plenty of pictures of it and the others. Monument avenue I guess will be called something else, not sure what. I do not go to Richmond much, it's not as nice and I don't feel safe there in some areas. I will take the children to see where the tunnel is eventually where the train is buried and Hollywood cemetery is o.k. to visit on a Saturday. I bet you are tired after pulling those miles. Sorry you have to attend a funeral on Sunday but like you say at least one hour is easy compared to how far you have traveled so far. Safe travel Hugs, Betsy

      Delete
  3. Gosh, your porch is just lovely. And so sparkling clean with the power wash, too. All your food sounds so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Merry, Feels so good to have it clean.

      Delete
  4. Betsy, your home is so beautiful and regal. The front porch is bright and shiny with a good scrub and all the pretty blooms. That chowder looks wonderful and I bet it tastes even better..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy. Just found your blog. Loving it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post for the season Betsy. Love each and every photo and your front porch looks very welcoming.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy