- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Chatham Manor -- 1

Steve and I visited Chatham in the Spring of this year.  First time visit for  him,  I wanted to see the roses in bloom and I did...  So pretty they were.  
First a walk through the grapevines to once was the back of the mansion.   A plantation that  consisted of 1,300 acres and was built between 1768 and 1771and owned by William Fitzhugh.
The house,  Georgian style overlooks the Rappahannock river was named for William Pitt ,  the Earl of Chatham. 

After parking the car we walk to Chatham mansion through beautiful grape vines and roses.




boxwood walk above and below


 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Entering the iron gate is a look to left and right of the front gardens.
This actually used to be the back of the mansion - plantation homes entrances faced the water.
Many fragrant roses
 
 
 
 
 
 
bust among the roses on back wall
 
 
In the background is the Summer house




 

 
Famous visitors to mansion were William Henry Harrison,  Thomas Jefferson and  George Washington.
There were others that came later because of the Civil War.
 
 I will post a few pictures inside in  next post.......
 
click here for
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy