- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Happy Sunday

Getting yard stuff put away and planting tulip bulbs I ordered.  Hopefully today we can put the lights up outside.  I like to have them done before the weather gets really cold. 

I picked I thought the last of the roses before the frost to use in rose jelly.  Went out today and there are more buds all over the plant.

A few Lavender springs on lavender plant. 

Pineapple sage is blooming so pretty and I guess the boxwood has protected it from frost.

I had this in a pot originally in the summer but it got so large I had to put it somewhere and the only place ready was under the dogwood tree.  

The leaves are scented like pineapple but the flowers do not seem to have any. 


Hope this hollyhock comes back next year as I am not digging it up.  It didn't bloom and I don't know why.  It has some mighty huge leaves.  The flowers on this one are supposed to be almost black.

Rose jelly I canned on Friday.  I placed a few rose petals in some jars.  The top jar is basil I did a few months back.  


this is a little more jelled than I wanted it to be.  I like it a little less so, so I can pour over vanilla ice-cream.   Tastes really good as a topping.  This jelly is the real color and no food coloring. I have to put lemon juice over the leaves the night before with sugar and then mix in rest of sugar along with water to boil and then add sure gel .   Without the lemon juice it has no color.  So what you see below is the real color.  It tastes a little citrusy with a  floral note  along with a spice taste like cinnamon.  Husband loves it on buttered toast. 

Til next time 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Betsy, that jelly looks so good and really pretty. It is a Christmas decoration in itself. I had a little bit of lavender blooming and believe it or no, a few Cecil Brunner roses. Strange times..Stay well..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love seeing your beautiful rose jelly, Betsy! So lovely and I'm sure delicious. The frost was really late coming this year. We pulled up all of the annuals and put the clay pots to bed yesterday. It looks kind of bare so after Thanksgiving we hope to start decorating for Christmas. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy,
    Busy bee you are!
    One wonders at times why only big leaves and no blossoms appear on plants. We have had for years now, foliage on our daffodil varieties but no blooms. So disappointing... we gave up on them. Wonder why?!
    Those roses look so lovely and were they scented too? Must almost be as you made them into rose jelly. That looks magazine worthy too.
    Your husband is spoiled, having such a remarkable wife!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS you should read about my almost prank in my final post... hilarious memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Majority of my daffodils didn't bloom this past spring either. My roses are scented and seem to be stronger in early morning. Thank you so much for a sweet compliment. I do appreciate that very much.
      Hugs sent to you Mariette,
      betsy

      I will be reading your post shortly

      Delete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy