Meems bottom covered bridge in Shenandoah county, Virginia..
Sits across the North Fork of the Shenandoah River.
Current bridge is the forth one built.
The first one built between 1867 and 68 was destroyed by flood in 1870.
Replaced in 1871 only to be taken out again by flood waters in 1877
Third one constructed in 1878 , replaced 1894
The bridge named after the Meem family who owned large tracts of land in the area. Rock gathered from local quarries were used to build the abutments which extend below the river bed 10 feet.
October 1976 - vandals set fire and destroyed the bridge. Timbers original to bridge were salvaged. By 1979 the bridge was rebuilt and put back in service.
Slippery walk down to the river at the bridge
This is where we parked for the walk to the bridge
Looking across the corn field.
Heading to hotel because Paughs Orchard will have to wait until tomorrow.
a short clip of the bridge