- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Currituck Light

Located on the outer banks in Corolla N.C. is
Currituck beach lighthouse , a first order lighthouse and  with that means  it has the largest of seven Fresnel lens sizes.   Light can be seen for 18 nautical miles,   with it's 20 second flash cycle it is on for 3 secs. and off for 17 seconds.
Exterior is left unpainted which distinguishes it from others in the region and gives a sense of just how many bricks it took to construct it which is about one million.
 
 
 
It's position is 34 miles south of (Virginia) cape Henry light house and
32 1/2 miles north , north west of Bodie island lighthouse
 
 Last major light built on North Carolina coast
 
walk from keepers house to light

The thickness of wall at it's base is 5 feet 8 inches



214 steps up 
 


 
 
 



 
 
out to take  a look from the top 
 
breezy and beautiful
Thickness of wall at the parapet is 3 feet
 
still an aid to navigation the light is on automatically every evening at dusk and off at dawn
 
Original source of light was a mineral oil lamp with five wicks, one being the largest of 4 inches in diameter
 
going down
 
Light keepers  house is a  stick style Victorian dwelling
In 1876 when completed , two keepers and family shared the house.
After automation in 1939 the keepers were removed as there was  no need for wick trimming , cleaning lenses etc.
 
 
Historic buildings on the grounds have been repaired such as outhouse and two hole privy
 
 
----------------------------------------------
Inside the keepers home
 
pretty fireplace
portraits and desk of family and keepers
 
 
Inside is  a  gift shop with this pretty stained glass I wanted but not this time
more info about the area and lighthouse at   - currituck beach lighthouse .com
 
 
 
 
I am sharing with the  tablescaper  - Oh the places I've been

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour of the lighthouse, Betsy! I almost felt like I was there. Love the view from the top and that spiral staircase! My cousin and I have taken several lighthouse tours but never in that area. It's in my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, ur blog was slow to load... not sure why? i love lighthouses & my fav are those stairs. nice views! enjoy ur weekend. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! Light houses are so fascinating to me. Nice view from the top too! The stairs are so neat! And the keeper's house.
    Thanks for sharing Betsy.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy