- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Monday, October 25, 2010

Monticello visit

Areas around Thomas Jefferson's home are oval flower beds.   The west lawn is bordered by a winding flower border.
Because they could be shipped easily, Tulips, Anemones and hyacinths were plentiful in the gardens.  Tulips are  mentioned the most in Jefferson's garden book, planted in 1807 from Europe.

When Jefferson died  in 1826, his flower gardens disappeared.  Between 1939 and 1941 the gardens were revived by the Garden club of Virginia.  Researchers found sketches by Jefferson of the West Lawn winding  border walk and oval border plan.   They were able to find raised areas around the West lawn by shining their car headlights across the lawn at night.   Many of the species grown are geraniums, zinnias, French and African marigold among others.  700 species of seeds yearly; Jefferson received from Paris.  The plants look more like like wildflowers because they are leggy and have more foliage than flowers.  I think they look lacy and beautiful .    I bought some seeds from the gift shop in Monticello that come from the plants grown on the property.  I can't wait to see how they turn out,  especially the prickly poppy with variegated leaves.    I want to visit in the spring next year to see the spring flowers.





winding flower walk on west lawn



 
Peruvian Zinnias
cockscomb
Josephs coat





foxglove


 flower beds at house
prickly poppy
tuber rose






 vegetable garden
 beautiful view of mountains from Monticello
grapes
 Lavender cotton
 Fish caught in the river were kept in this pond til ready for use
Rosemary and other herbs on left side of walkway

 I couldn't get over how large the Ivy vine is

 Kitchen
 old wine bottle found on property


I couldn't help but notice the huge tree - gorgeous



 horse stable

 Jefferson grave
 and family cemetary
 gate to cemetary
flowers planted on grave blooming
There is so much to see and learn at Monticello.


1 comment:

  1. I remember visiting Monticello a while back and I believe the tour guide mentioned that Jefferson's grave was moved from Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond to his home. I really love the pics. I never get tired of going to Monticello.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy