- Photos posted on my blog are mine unless stated otherwise. BH

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Saint Valentines Day


My husband brought these beautiful flowers home to me.
He very carefully put them down so he would not spill any water out of the vase,  pretending they were real.

 little trivia I was reading about Valentines day in the United States, one is that Esther Howland is given credit for sending the first Valentines Day cards.   In the 1800's the first commercial valentines were introduced.
Many opinions concerning how Valentines day came about...
  Some say it came about from a Roman, "Saint Valentine" who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity, his death February 14, 269 A.D... a note left for the jailers daughter as legend has it, who became his friend, was signed "from your Valentine".  Other aspects of the story about St. Valentine serving as a Priest at the temple during Emperor Claudius time. Valentine was jailed for defying him and in 496 A.D.  Pope Gelasius set aside February 14th to honor St. Valentine.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! Fred is in Roanoke this St. Valentine's Day. Enjoy your day with Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely floral arrangement!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so did the store tell your dh they were artificial?

    They look lovely regardless,

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your visit on my blog.
    I think it's really great, I have discovered your wonderful blog. It is always highly interesting to see pictures of other countries.

    Cordial greetings Melontha

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy reading your comments always!
If there is a return email address when I check my moderation of comments, I will reply then. If no reply is enabled, I will reply to comment under post. Thank you - Betsy